Monday 18 May 2020

Blaine Reed Meteorites For Sale - List 237

Blaine Reed
P.O. Box 1141
Delta, CO 81416
Ph/fax (970) 874-1487

May 18, 2020

LIST 237

CANYON DIABLO, Arizona: Coarse octahedrite (IAB).

Not sure why I called this a “list” as it is a single item offering – a roughly 12kg (11990grams actually) nice-shaped Canyon Diablo individual. We are all having a difficult time right now (hopefully for all of you out there it is mostly boredom from being stuck at home so long and nothing more serious) but some folks are having a more difficult time of it than many. It is this that has allowed me to offer up this fantastic natural Canyon Diablo specimen. It belongs to a collector/ mineral dealer (he deals in cabechons, rough slabs for such, mineral specimens, jewelry and more but only occasionally has a meteorite for sale) but he has had a couple things turn up lately. First, he (as many of us “dealers” have) has had pretty much all of his summer shows cancelled, so no income from those events this year. Next he had the bad luck of having his car’s engine go out (completely – as in total replacement time) on him a couple weeks ago (I am currently gathering the parts together so I can do the timing belt, water pump and oil pump on the old Subaru so something similar does not end up happening to me this summer). That looks like it may cost him around $3000 plus to get fixed (or probably a similar amount to buy a good conditioned “new” used car). So, he has made the decision to offer this wonderful prized specimen. I know that this will sell at the Denver fall show but that is assuming that this virus disaster is still not with us enough to have that shut down (or so restricted that the results would be pretty much the same). Thankfully, the owner has another vehicle (an old truck) to drive so the situation is not desperate. Right now, gas is so cheap (we have regular at around $1.45/ gallon locally) that driving this old thing is not too much of a financial problem at the moment. Anyway, as you can see by the attached photos, this is a really nice natural individual. It was a little bit more natural when I got it but I spent a little time knocking off the loose dirt and minor caliche (mostly using the baking-soda air-abrasion tool). I sold my really nice 15kg piece (at a much higher price per gram) a few years ago to pay some bills and would love to keep this piece as a replacement but I just don’t really have the $ right now to do that (particularly seeing as how the various shows have been cancelled the next few months). So, I am offering it here. I have this priced at a level that it would realistically bring at one of the major shows.


11,990 gram complete natural individual – 180mm x 180mm x 100mm - $7800

One other note:
I have been having a LOT of problems with mail going out of the country lately (not too surprising, most of the overseas mail flies in the baggage area of common passenger jets and with few of those operating these days, the mail is getting backed up considerably). As such I am sorry to have to say that I really, really do NOT want to attempt to ship this overseas right now.

I hope everyone out there stays safe and healthy. And I certainly hope to see some of you at the next major show we’re allowed to have.

Take care!

Blaine