Tuesday 24 March 2020

Blaine Reed Meteorites For Sale- List 236

Blaine Reed Meteorites For Sale- List 236

Blaine Reed
P.O. Box 1141
Delta, CO 81416
Ph/fax (970) 874-1487

LIST 236

TRAVEL(s) INFO:
Boy oh boy has this part gotten screwed up a bunch recently. First off – I had the dates for the Denver Spring show wrong on the mailed catalogs I sent out (close to 300 of them). I had put down April 17th through the 19th . This show, to not interfere with other important shows used to be the weekend closest to “420”. They had to change it (and lost numerous dealers do to the other show conflicts) to a different weekend as the hotel that hosted the show was already fully booked the 420 time frame for pot shows at the nearby Merchandise Mart. I thought the show went back to its original scheduling when they moved out the Crowne Plaza a few years ago. Nope, I got a postcard telling me that the show was actually April 10th – 12th. Oops! I was about to consider re-doing the list (and tearing open hundreds of envelopes) when I got the notice that the show dates have been moved! The new dates (hopefully just for this year) are May 15th – 17th . So, no reason to worry (too much) about have the wrong weekend as neither weekend I would have put on the list was correct now. However, I had a trip through Wyoming planned with friends (yes, I do actually have some) for May 12th – 18th. So, now I would be missing the show because of that. Well, now it seems that I can go to the show as my (expensive) pre-paid reservations in Yellowstone for the actual days of the show (we’d be in devil’s tower, Buffalo and other places other days) have now been canceled! Yellowstone park will be completely shut down at least until the end of May (and the room rates are drastically higher at that point). So, now I do plan to attend the Spring show assuming it does not get changed yet again. So, if you are going to the show and want to meet, let me know ahead of time (if possible) and if there is anything in particular you want me to bring (otherwise I mostly bring things for sales to the various dealers that want stuff from me each year).
---
GIBEON, Namibia: Iron. Fine-octahedrite (IVA). Found 1836.
(Click on Image to Enlarge)

GIBEON
, Namibia: Iron. Fine-octahedrite (IVA). Found 1836.
Boy oh boy has Gibeon gotten hard to come by recently. Not much is turning up and what little is (mostly from old collections) is usually rapidly snapped up by the Chinese. Well, I managed to pick up a handful of small pieces (from a couple different sources, surprisingly) in Tucson this year. Had the Chinese been at the show this year, I am certain that these would NOT have made it home with me (at these prices anyway). Most of these are completely natural, only the 113g (highly brushed) and the 693g (very lightly cleaned) have had any work done on them. All of these have nice sculpted shapes.. Pieces like these were actually fairly rare even when Gibeon was commonly available.
1) Complete individuals (mostly natural) as found:
a) 33.4 grams - 30mm x 25mm x 20mm - $62 – NOT the piece in the group photo.
b) 63.2 grams - 50mm x 18mm x 11mm - sold
c) 94.8 grams - 60mm x 30mm x 16mm - $160 – NOT the specimen in the group photo.
d) 113.6 grams - 65mm x 25mm x 12mm - $190 – wire brushed.
e) 693.1 grams - 105mm x 40mm x 35mm - $1050 – very lightly brushed..
---
GHADAMIS, Libya: Ordinary chondrite (L6)
(Click on Image to Enlarge) 

GHADAMIS, Libya: Ordinary chondrite (L6). Fell August 26, 2018. Tkw = about 100kg.
The above is more of the Berber spelling of the town name, others have it as “Ghadames”. Regardless, this is a super nice new fall that turned up in Tucson this year (and got the biggest amount of $ out of my pocket for any one item this year). This still has not turned up in the official listings for some reason. However, there is no doubt that this is a) a fall and b) an L chondrite (by magnetic susceptibility readings) and c) by internal texture an L6. I had a couple other large super fresh individuals but have already sold those (I cut this one because it had an easy to work with shape and a tiny amount of rust spotting). Every piece listed below has at least some fresh fusion crust along an edge (the larger pieces are 50% to 100% edge crusted). A beautiful new fall at a (surprisingly) not scary price.
1) Slices, part slices:
a) 2.7 grams - 20mm x 13mm x 4mm - $16
b) 5.4 grams - 24mm x 20mm x 3mm - $32
c) 10.2 grams - 34mm x 25mm x 4mm - $60
d) 20.0 grams - 55mm x 45mm x 3mm - $115 – complete slice.
e) 40.9 grams - 62mm x 46mm x 5mm - $225 – complete slice.
---
NWA (7675): Ordinary chondrite. (L5)
(Click on Image to Enlarge)  

NWA (7675): Ordinary chondrite. (L5), S2, W2. Found 2012. Tkw = 663 grams..
Now this is a meteorite that, to be honest, I question the weathering grade and not for the better, unfortunately. I do see some fine metal grains in some of the slices I got from cutting this, but not a lot. Frankly, this does not show much of anything (how’s that for marketing?). This does have some minor thin shock or hematite veins and some slight hints of chondrule outlines in a medium to dark brown matrix. I suspect that this got put to research as the original buyer hoped (given its lack of obvious chondrite textures) this might be a primitive achondrite of some sort. Not particularly pretty, but an affordable “new” meteorite.
1) Slices:
a) 7.0 grams - 35mm x 18mm x 4mm - $9
b) 13.0 grams - 55mm x 17mm x 4mm - $16
c) 25.9 grams - 50mm x 45mm x 4mm - $31
2) End pieces:
a) 34.9 grams - 47mm x 22mm x 17mm - $40
b) 187.8 grams - 58mm x 30mm x 55mm - $190 – Main mass.
---
NWA (11669): Ordinary chondrite. (LL3)
(Click on Image to Enlarge)  

NWA (11669): Ordinary chondrite. (LL3), S2, W2. Found 2013. Tkw = 23 kilograms.
I kind of wish I picked up a little more of this (and in more solid pieces – I had problems keeping larger slices together when cutting and polishing this stuff). This, to some degree, reminds a little of Ragland, NM or Wells, TX LL3 specimens I had in the (distant) past. Like those, this shows pretty much no metal at all but makes up for it by having lots of chondrules (of various shades of gray, brown, orange and more, just not quite as bright as Wells). Unfortunately, like most type 3’s these days, this did not get sub-typed as that now requires hundreds of probe data points costing LOTS of money (due to rule changes within the Nomenclature Committee) so that only gets done on truly fantastic looking, obviously low sub-type specimens now. All but the very smallest specimens in the list of slices below are “one of a kind”. This is among the very most “affordable” LL3’s I’ve ever offered. I also have bags of cheap small “E-Bay” type pieces available, so just ask if you are interested (I’ll put together a custom bag of total weight and, when possible, sized desired pieces for you).
1) End pieces:
a) 23.8 grams - 30mm x 20mm x 15mm - sold
b) 44.3 grams - 40mm x 35mm x 15mm - sold
c) 102.2 grams - 70mm x 65mm x 12mm - $190 – NOT the specimen in the group photo.
d) 124.5 grams - 80mm x 60mm x 15mm - $225
e) 310.9 grams - 85mm x 70mm x 25mm - $500 – has carbonaceous clast
2) Slices: $3.00/ gram. Sizes available:
2.4g, 5.2g, 9.6g, 16.6g, 25.8g
---
NWA (12269): Achondrite. Martian (Shergottite).
(Click on Image to Enlarge)  

NWA (12269): Achondrite. Martian (Shergottite). Found before July 2018. Tkw = over 2kg.
Here are slices (and a couple end pieces) of this interesting (and quite solid) shergottite pairing to NWA (12269) I picked up in Denver last September. This meteorite is different from other shergottites in that it does not contain olivine, just clinopyroxene and maskelynite (plagioclase turned to glass by shock). This tells us that, unlike Earth, Mars did not produce a homogeneous liquid mantle during accretion. This shows that Mars had only a semi-liquid mantle with zones of differing mineral compositions. These pieces will be out in either a small plastic display box or a small Riker (depending upon size of the specimen). This part got left out of the mailed copy, unfortunately (I had a computer crash that wiped out much of my typing the first go-around and I forgot this little detail the second time).
1) Slices:
a) .15 grams - 7mm x 6mm x 1.5mm - $30
b) .25 grams - 10mm x 6mm x 1.5mm - $50
c) .51 grams - 12mm x 11mm x 1.5mm - $100
d) .97 grams - 18mm x 11mm x 2mm - $175
e) 1.9 grams - 25mm x 18mm x 2mm - $310 – complete slice.
f) 4.5 grams - 45mm x 28mm x 2mm - $675 – complete slice.
2) end pieces: I have only these two:
a) 5.1 grams - 25mm x `17mm x 8mm - $670
b) 61.9 grams - 40mm x 29mm x 26mm - $5500 – a real museum piece. In fact, I bought this one to be my “pass around” Mars rock to replace my softer NWA (7397) similar sized end piece that I believed was already sold (to a museum).
---
ANCIENT METEORITE COINS (Obverse)
(Click on Image to Enlarge)  

ANCIENT METEORITE COINS (Reverse)
(Click on Image to Enlarge)  

ANCIENT METEORITE COINS: Large silver Tetradrachm. Around 17g and 30mm diameter.
I have offered the small bronze coins and a few of the much smaller silver coins of this design on past lists (and sold out). I finally was able to get an assortment of these wonderful large (the largest, highest denomination I believe) silver coins of the same design and time period to offer. As with the other smaller pieces, these are mostly Anitochos I, Soter (280-261BC) pieces (I do have one Antiochos II piece though). I have 3 of the cheapest ones (I’ll line them up next to each other in the group photo) and a few nicer (more expensive) pieces. As with the other coins, these ARE NOT MADE OUT OF A METEORITE. These have the head of the ruler facing right on the obverse and the reverse has Apollo seated on a conical rock (the omphalus) that was believed to be a meteorite. So, these coins are a very early (if not THE earliest) coins to have a meteorite represented on them.
a) Nice but circulated example - $375
b) A bit nicer but Antiochos II - $400
c) Better still - $675
d) The best - $950

Please note:
Shipping: For small US orders $4 is OK for now. Larger orders are now $8 to $15 (insurance is extra if desired – I’ll look it up if you want it). Overseas prices have gone up A LOT the past couple years. Now small overseas orders are around $15 (Canada seems to be right around $11). I’ll have to custom quote any larger items/ orders (both local and overseas). Registration (recommended on more valuable overseas orders) is $16.
I do have a fax machine that seems to work (but I have to answer it and manually turn it on), so overseas people can contact me that way if they must.. How ever, for overseas orders, it probably is best to go ahead and use my brmeteorites@yahoo.com e-mail when possible.