Wednesday 20 November 2019

Blaine Reed Meteorites for Sale- List 232

Blaine Reed Meteorites for Sale- List 232
Blaine Reed
P.O. Box 1141
Delta, CO 81416
Ph/fax (970) 874-1487

LIST 232

November 19, 2019

Dear collectors,

I have had a little time to look into, learn a little more about the changes to yahoo groups. It seems that is will not be quite as devastating to me (in how I generally use this venue anyway) as I was first led to believe. I will indeed be loosing the archives (so don’t expect to be able to go to the group archives if you received a list, deleted it and then decided you wanted to have another look at it). I also will not be able to put photos for those interested to go to the group photos to see. All archives will be removed (deleted) soon and no new “uploaded” content (photos and such) has already been blocked I believe. So, it seems that I can use this pretty much as I always have – for sending out a mass e-mail offering to those that have signed up for it but that is all. Those of you that directly receive my yahoo groups postings will now have to contact me (brmeteorites@yahoo.com) and have me send the associated photo(s) back as an attachment to a “reply” e-mail. As for any kind of archives (that also include photos), a friend (Dirk Ross) has been posting these e-mail offerings (along with the associated photos) and posting them at blaine-reed-meteorites.blogspot.com for many years now. This site contains pretty much all the posts (the meteorite offering ones anyway, not some of the ramblings/musings on other issues I’ve occasionally sent out) as well as associated photos. So, lost an offering or want to see a particular offering’s photo(s) –you should be able to go to the blogspot and find it there. Anyway, I’ll try to keep everyone notified as I learn more about the changes.

Here is an offering of things that I picked up more than a couple months ago at the Denver show. I have been so busy with things (and I leave yet again on the 29th and will be gone – really gone, as in out of the country – until December 12th) that I simply have not had time to do these offerings. These items are all Michael Casper labeled pieces and are set up displayed in riker mounts with their labels (I have a group photo but, as mentioned above, you will have to contact me directly to ask for it). Some interesting and hard to come by these days items here (and some not so hard) but they are all quasi-historic as Michael was one of the bigger dealers years ago and has long since moved onto other things.

NOTE: Shipping on these is going to be a bit higher (around $5 or $6 for a single item for basic US) as these, being in glass fronted display boxes, will have to be shipped packed in boxes. None of my usual jewelry boxes in a padded envelope for these pieces.
Click on image to Enlarge.

CHINGA, Russia: Iron. Ni-rich ataxite (IVB anomalous). Found 1913. Tkw = 300+kg.
This is a nice rectangular part slice that has two cut edges and two natural edges (the shorter sides are the natural edges). This has a simple polished face as, being an ataxite, it wouldn’t show much of anything if someone did take the time to etch it.
31.6gram part slice – 38mm x 18mm x 6mm - $65

COLE CREEK, Nebraska: Ordinary chondrite (H5). Found 1991. Tkw = 16.3kg.
I don’t recall having a lot of contact with this meteorite. I may have had a piece here or there over time but really don’t recall much about it. This is a roughly square-shaped piece that has one natural, weathered fusion crust edge. The side that is up in the display has been polished but this seems to have darkened it quite a bit and made the chondrules hard to see (they show up quite nicely on the unpolished back side).
31.1 gram part slice – 40mm x 34mm x 8mm - $90

EAGLE, Nebraska: Enstatite chondrite (EL6). Found, likely fell 1947. Tkw = 9,242grams.
Now this is one I do remember. It seems that a large fireball was seen in the area this stone was found. That was in October of 1946. This stone was found in 1947. Glenn Huss had managed to finally acquire the thing in the early 1980’s. It had very fresh crust, so it was clear that this stone had not been out in the weather long. The thing finally got cut and studied in 1984. It also showed a very nice fresh interior to match the fresh crust. This cutting work (and some sales) happened right around the time he was retiring, so very little of this got out into the collecting world (and as far as I know, the main portion of this remains locked up with the owners having no intentions of selling any). Glenn let me have some pieces of this on consignment when he finally shut down, but it was not a lot. This piece is kind of a block – a smallish rectangular slice that is quite thick (but then, this thickness is how meteorites were generally cut back then. Museums and research folks preferred thicker pieces). I have not seen a piece of this neat meteorite in a looooong time.
3.9gram block/ part slice – 17mm x 9mm 8mm - $225

HUCKITTA, Australia: Stony-iron (Pallasite). Found 1924.
This is a complete slice of a fragment of the oxidized material. It was mostly unpolished (shows some saw marks if you look closely) and not coated. I did not take this to the sander but I may if it does not sell as it is. I did, however, go ahead and spray coat it (not so much to stop rusting that is not going to happen with this anyway, but to bring out the structure as spray coating generally acts like polishing). I kind of wanted to leave it alone as much as possible for now so the specimen weight will match the Casper label that comes with it.
22.0gram complete slice of a fragment – 45mm x 27mm x 6mm - $50

IMILAC, Chile: Stony-iron (Pallasite). Found 1822.
This display consists of two of the shocked/ shrapnel specimens that were found around the impact crater. These have the twisted, skeletal metal with shattered, sandy yellow, orange to hints of reddish pink olivines in the recesses. The label on top (the Casper Meteorites one) is for the specimen on the left (7.6g). There is another label underneath the Casper label (but no name or clue who’s it is) for the other specimen but that has it as 9.1g and the specimen is really 8.5g. The prices on these from way back when were quite high. I think the sticker next to the 7.6g one was $100 and the other was $120. I’m selling both (with the labels, riker and all) for midway between these prices.
2 natural shrapnel pieces totaling 16.1grams - $110

POTTER, Nebraska: Ordinary chondrite (L6). Found 1941. Tkw = 261+kg.
It has been quite awhile since I’ve had any Nebraska meteorite and I just realized that I have 3 on this list alone. This display has multiple specimens one large one and 5 smaller slices/ fragments. I know some pieces of Potter like to fall apart on their own (not sure how a meteorite so weathered can do this) and assumed that this is what has happened here. Nope, the large 27.8g piece is an old-style thick slice that has two cut edges and two old weathered crust edges, but no places where pieces have broken off. Looking at the smaller pieces more carefully, it becomes obvious that these came from a much thinner cut slice, not the larger specimen with them. This display has two labels with it. I put the JM DuPont Collection label on top of the Casper label that has the weight as 30.8g (the DuPont label has no weight listed) which is indeed the weight (a hair less actually – I think I saw something around 31.0g on my scale when I did a quick weight check). Not sure if it really goes with this display, but there was also a New England Meteoritical Services label in the collection box and this was the only Potter in the box so that label goes with this as well.
30.8g slices/ fragments. One 27.8g slice (37mm x 33mm x 8mm) and 5 smaller - $100 – DuPont labeled

TATAHOUINE, Tunisia: HED achondrite (Diogenite). Fell June 27, 1931. Tkw = 13.5kg.
This is just weird stuff. The meteorite blew apart low in the atmosphere delivering many generally very small fragments of a mottled bright green with gray streaks meteorite to the ground. Years ago, when Alain Carion went to the fall site and recovered these things for the collecting world (late 1980’s probably?) this was the only known unbrecciated diogenite. I am not so certain that this is not still the case. This is a typical fragment of this strange material. Nothing exciting but interesting none the less. The Casper label has this as 3.6 grams but it really weighs 9according to my scale) 3.7grams.
3.7 gram natural fragment – 18mm x 12mm x 10mm - $45