Thursday 26 September 2019

Blaine Reed Meteorites for Sale- List 230

Blaine Reed
P.O. Box 1141
Delta, CO 81416
Ph/fax (970) 874-1487

LIST 230

September 26, 2019

Here is the e-mail version of my recently mailed list. I will post the group photos to my Yahoo group archives (if it will let me, I have had some difficulties in the past) but I can also e-mail them individually to anyone that wants to see a particular lot.

PLEASE NOTE: I will be out of town October 24th – 29th and November 6th – 13th (as well as late November – early December for Costa Rica).


CAMPO DEL CIELO, Argentina: Coarse octahedrite (IAB), silicated. Found 1576.
Here is an item that is a bit different. I have bought a fairly large amount of Campo nuggets over the past few years. Most are the usual rounded edge, angular all metal nuggets with only a possible hint of graphite or silicates. These pieces here are all very silicate-rich (I have been plucking them out of the batches of nuggets I get). Many (if not all) of these are probably better than 50% graphite/ silicates. Some pieces have these silicates as large nodules or zones. Others have them as fairly small blebs evenly scattered throughout (making the piece look more like a mesosiderite). Nothing super special, but cheap and (I thought) kind of cool/ interesting.
1) Tumbled/ cleaned nuggets that are very silicate-rich:
a) 4.7 grams - 17mm x 10mm x 7mm - $9 – not the piece in the group photo.
b) 7.5 grams - 18mm x 13mm x 10mm - $15
c) 10.2 grams - 18mm x 16mm x 8mm - $20
d) 15.3 grams - 22mm x 13mm x 11mm - $30


HOPE CREEK, Alaska: Ordinary chondrite (LL6). Found summer 1998. Tkw = 9.83kg.
Here are slices (and a nice “book-end” that stands up nicely on its own: 96.0 grams – 75mm x 45mm x 12mm for $570) that I cut from the 805g “main mass” I had offered on my October 2017 list. I was able to arrange a purchase/ trade deal that made it fully mine so I could commit my evil saw work on it so I can now offer everybody more affordable pieces of this meteorite. This is not a super pretty meteorite but it does have an interesting look to it. It has the occasional larger chondrule, clast and sulfide inclusion in a mottled tan to dark brown matrix. This meteorite actually has two shock grades assigned to it: S3 and S4. This stone is composed of lighter colored and less shocked (S3) clasts in higher shocked (S4) matrix.
1) Slices:
a) 5.1 grams - 20mm x 19mm x 4mm - $35
b) 9.5 grams - 35mm x 20mm x 4mm - $65
c) 16.2 grams - 35mm x 33mm x 4mm - $110
d) 31.2 grams - 50mm x 40mm x 4mm - $200
e) 65.5 grams - 85mm x 55mm x 4mm - $400 – large 15mm “chondrule”


NWA (10805): Ordinary chondrite. (L4), S2, W1. Found before May 2016. Tkw = 657 grams.
These are pieces from a studied main mass (only one stone was recorded for this find) that had been oddly cut down its long side. Unfortunately, this made it so I could not get any true complete slices (all of the larger slices have at least some small amount of cut edge on one end) as the finders had cut it what I would have considered the wrong direction for further specimen prep work to remove the research work specimen. Anyway, this is a fairly nice meteorite, having a low weathering grade of W1. This shows some well-formed chondrules, quite a lot of fresh metal in a mottled orange brown to medium brown coarse-grained matrix.
1) Slices:
a) 8.9 grams - 30mm x 19mm x 4mm - $15
b) 17.1 grams - 35mm x 30mm x 4mm - $27
c) 33.8 grams - 67mm x 40mm x 4mm - $50
2) End pieces: note, I only have these two.
a) 62.4 grams - 52mm x 32mm x 25mm - $90
b) 154.4 grams - 55mm x 44mm x 35mm - sold – Main mass.



NWA (2965): Enstatite chondrite. (EL6/7), possibly (EL3). Found 205.
This is the stuff that some called a “fossil” meteorite as it was found embedded as part of ancient lake- bed deposits. This shows no visible chondrules to speak of so I personally believed the 6/7 classification (some have even called this an achondrite Aubrite). However, some researchers argue that the presence of K-bearing glass and a non re-crystallized matrix show that this is really a type 3! Regardless, enstatite chondrites are not only very rare but are interesting in that the bulk content of the Earth is closest matched by melting this type meteorite. I managed to set aside a few “larger” solid pieces (most pieces of this stuff were thumb sized or so) years ago so I could cut these nice slices from. A couple REALLY large pieces I turned into end pieces (the largest has a large zone of the light gray material) at a per gram price cheaper than replacement cost for this material these days. This is very weathered so it doesn’t show any metal but it does have in interesting light brown sandy texture that is quite different from other meteorites. I sold quite a large amount of this material when I put it out at the Denver show this year.
1) Slices:
a) 4.1 grams - 30mm x 15mm x 4mm - $15
b) 8.0 grams - 30mm x 24mm x 4mm - $29
c) 16.2 grams - 52mm x 32mm x 4mm - $56
d) 25.6 grams - 53mm x 53mm x 4mm - $90
e) 39.1 grams - 75mm x 47mm x 4mm - $135
f) 58.9 grams - 100mm x 65mm x 4mm - $200
2) End pieces/ cut fragments:
a) 2490 grams - 130mm x 120mm x 95mm - $1300
b) 5690 grams - 230mm x 180mm x 100mm - $2800


AGUAS ZARCAS, Costa Rica: Carbonaceous chondrite (CM2). Fell April 23, 2019. Tkw = 27kg.
I know quite a few of you saw an offering of this when I first got my hands on pieces back in mid August. However, this is an important new meteorite and many of you would not have gotten a chance to get a piece (I have many customers that only get this mailed list). I do plan to go to the area in Late November and hope to pick up some bargains from people wanting $ for Christmas rather than a rock on the shelf. Right now (as I type this list) folks that have material in the field seem to be still stuck at $65/g (larger uglier fragments that have seen a lot of rain before they were recovered) and $90/g (better, fresher individuals) so I am not sure if my “Christmas money” idea will work out. These slices, to be honest, are from a piece that saw some rain, but not much. I paid extra to get this wire-sawed to avoid adding any more water, causing any further damage as well. I do have a few small (mostly under 1g) fragments with crust (a bit cheaper per gram as well), so ask if that is what you might prefer.
1) Slices:
a) .28 grams - 10mm x 8mm x 1.5mm - $34
b) .54 grams - 13mm x 12mm x 1.5mm - $65
c) 1.0 grams - 20mm x 17mm x 1.5mm - $120
d) 2.0 grams - 28mm x 20mm x 1.5mm - $225
e) 2.7 grams - 37mm x 19mm x 1.5mm - $300
2) Larger fragments/ individuals:
a) 12.8 gram crusted fragment – 30mm x 18mm x 17mm - $1250.00 – about 40% crusted
b) 24.0 gram individual – 30mm x 28mm x 20mm - $2400.00 – about 85% crust, partly oriented.
c) 53.4 gram individual – 45mm x 32mm x 25mm - $5300.00 – about 95% crust, partly oriented.


NWA (12636): HED achondrite (diogenite). Found 2018. Tkw = 776 grams.
This was a solid diogenite fragment that I got during the 2018 Tucson Show. It sat around for quite awhile before I did anything with it. Upon cutting I found it had a nice, classic texture – larger angular to rounded crystals (generally light tan to somewhat greenish in color) in a fine (bright, nearly yellow) matrix. There also appears to be a fair amount of chromite (small black angular inclusions) in most of these pieces. The research work showed this to be a typical (Vesta origin) monomict (one rock type) breccia. Nice stuff, and a great example of a “classic” diogenite (something I have NOT had in a surprisingly long time)
1) Slices:
a) 2.8 grams - 20mm x 12mm x 4mm - $30
b) 5.4 grams - 28mm x 15mm x 4mm - $58
c) 10.0 grams - 40mm x 25mm x 4mm - $105
d) 18.0 grams - 50mm x 35mm x 4mm - $180
e) 33.0 grams - 65mm x 50mm x 4mm - $315
2) End pieces:
a) 54.6 grams - 70mm x 25mm x 20mm - $500
b) 114.8 grams - 60mm x 47mm x 20mm - sold


METEOR CRATER POST CARD:
These are vintage (mostly unused) post cards. They have a picture of the entire crater that appears to be a (somewhat overdone) hand-painted/ colored black and white photo of the crater as seen from the air to the east. The bulk of these have a trademark of what looks to be “Fred Harvey Hotels-Shops, Restaurants”. A photo number of H-3971 is on the front under the picture along with “Meteorite Crater Near Winslow, Arizona”. I don’t know how old these are but I do have a couple that were used that seem to indicate that these are from the mid to late 1940’s. Each of these is in a protective slip and the price on these includes the shipping. No, I won’t be writing your address on it and dropping it the mail. I’ll send them out in a regular letter envelope. I do have two of the same post card (one has an old crease though) that appears to be the same but with less over-coloration of the photo and has “Fred Harvey, Trade Mark” and none of the other “Hotels, restaurants” and such. I suspect these are later (and, at least from what I can tell, quite a bit rarer) - $5 for the creased (the uncreased is sold).
Old mid to late 1940’s post card of Meteor Crater - $5 including shipping, $4 each for extras.

Please note:
Shipping: For small US orders $4 is OK for now. Larger orders are now $14 (insurance is extra if desired – I’ll look it up if you want it). Overseas prices have gone up A LOT the past couple years. Now small overseas orders are around $15 (I’ll have to custom quote any larger items/ orders). Registration (recommended on more valuable overseas orders) is $16.

I do have a fax machine that seems to work (but I have to answer it and manually turn it on), so overseas people can contact me that way if they must. How ever, for overseas orders, it probably is best to go ahead and use my brmeteorites@yahoo.com e-mail.