Friday 12 March 2010

brmeteorites_list] List 86 - even more "after Tucson" stuff

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:20 AM
From:
"brmeteorites"


Blaine Reed
P.O. Box 1141
Delta, CO 81416
Ph/fax (970) 874-1487
……………………………………………..LIST 86

March 9, 2010

Dear Collectors,
Here is my last consigned items from the show list (I think, more might turn up as I dig around a bit more later). I know that this is supposed to go out next week, but I plan on being on the road next week. I may be leaving as early as Tuesday (but more likely Wednesday) so, obviously, I would not have any time to take and ship orders. I don't know exactly how long I will be gone (I hope to schedule a short meteorite hunting trip along the way) but I should be home by the 24th.

CALDWELL, Kansas: (L - impact melt breccia). Found 1961. Tkw = 12.9kg.
I got this from Steve Arnold of "Meteorite Men" fame. He said that Nininger and Monig (I think, it might have been Dupont) tried for years to get this from the finder. They had no luck as was the case with Steve and I (we had tried to buy it a couple times over the years). The family finally decided to let it go a couple years ago (under consignment, I believe). I have a few small slices here. I don't know who cut these, but they are a bit wedged, unfortunately. They are fairly nondescript in appearance; a mottled mix of dark green and brown matrix with no real visible metal. Interesting though in its history and the fact that L-melts are generally quite rare (particularly named ones) and expensive (I have heard that this stuff has been offered typically for $12+/g).
a) 2.1 gram part slice - 28mm x 17mm x 1.5mm - $15
b) 3.0 gram part slice - 30mm x 14mm x 3mm - $21
c) 4.5 gram part slice - 32mm x 17mm x 2mm - $31
d) 6.7 gram part slice - 34mm x 17mm x 4mm - $45

NOYAN BOGDO, Mongolia: (L6). Fell September 1, 1933. Tkw = 250 grams +.
The total known weight of this is officially reported as only 250grams. I know that this is wrong as I have nearly that much sitting right here. These slices were obviously cut from a fairly large stone. They are quite fresh. The interior is mostly white with some pale brown/ orange spotting. The crust along the edges of these is black and fresh (and the largest piece has a small spot where it is also bubbly, leaving me to wonder if this large stone was not oriented). The large slice showed up with a small amount of shipping damage. A small corner got broken off in transit too me. I put it back with a small spot of glue (that could be easily removed if someone absolutely could not live with a "repaired" specimen) as the specimen is too nice a display piece to risk having these two pieces not remain together.
a) 86.8 gram 1/4 slice - 70mm x 60mm x 6mm - $600 - crust along 2 sides.
b) 147.9 gram 1/2 slice - 120mm x 70mm x 6mm - $1000 - only 1 cut edge (remainder crusted).

NWA (1906): (R4). Found 2003. Tkw = 560 grams.
One stone was recovered and, judging by the shape of these pieces, must have been nearly as round as a marble. This could not have been easy to cut (and this may show in the fact that both of these are slightly wedged, but nicer than some of the results I have gotten when trying to cut nearly round meteorites). This is fairly dark (unlike the other R - chondrites I have had), showing lots of chondrules in a dark brown and gray mottled matrix. Both slices are complete and show crust around the whole edge (aside from a couple minor chipped areas).
a) 22.7 gram complete slice - 55mm x 50mm x 2.5mm - $230
b) 28.5 gram complete slice - 60mm x 58mm x 3mm - $285

MOAPA VALLEY, Nevada: Carbonaceous (CM1). Found 2004. Tkw = 699grams.
A single black stone was found. After cutting it revealed a nearly featureless (to the naked eye) dark black interior, almost resembling a charcoal brickette (both internally and externally). Many (including the finder) wondered if it really was a meteorite at all. However, it does show some really obvious (to me anyway) fusion crust on some pieces (the 4.18g piece below has a nice 15mm x 6mm patch along its edge, for example). I was told that this is the second known (CM1) from outside of Antarctica, but I could find no records of another officially reported (it may be that the supposed other - a small 30g or so NWA stone, has not made it through reporting yet). This is an important opportunity for those of you collecting all the different meteorite types (the owner is not sure if and how much of the remaining material he will cut. He is hoping the bulk of it will go to a museum). I know I got my piece.
a) .012 grams of small fragments (each 1mm to 2mm in size) - $12
b) .093 gram cut fragment - 5mm x 4mm x 2mm - $75
c) .127 gram cut fragment - 6mm x 5mm x 3mm - $100
d) 4.18 gram slice - 28mm x 12mm x 6mm - $3150 (some crust along edge).