Tuesday 1 December 2009

Blaine Reed Meteorites … LIST 81

Blaine Reed
P.O. Box 1141
Delta, CO 81416
Ph/fax (970) 874-1487
…………………………………………………LIST 81
December 1, 2009

Dear Collectors,
Here is a list of items that might be good for gifts for Christmas. These are mostly items that should appeal to the average person (non- meteorite collectors) and even the meteorite collector as well (though most of you will already have pieces of most of this stuff).
Contact me as soon as possible if you are interested in any of these things. I want to be sure to get them too you in time for them to be re-packed and shipped as gifts if that is what is going to happen to them. Due to a rapidly developing family emergency, I may have to leave town for a few days (multiple times over the next few weeks actually) so that may cause some delays (hence the hope that I can get as many orders lined up and packed quickly as possible). Don't be afraid to contact me later and ask about any of these things (or things on earlier lists for that manner) though. I realize that it sometimes takes time to make purchase decisions (particularly for gifts). I will do my best to be sure that you get it in time regardless of the delays on your or my part.

CAMPO del CIELO, Argentina: Coarse octahedrite (IAB).
These are neat little pendants that have been made from the polished angular fragments of this meteorite that have had a small loop soldered to the top so they can easily be hung on a chain (neck or key). These are hugely popular at my shows and I often sell out what I bring (I did in Socorro). Unfortunately, I do not have the chains for these. Years ago I used to try and carry various chains for such things. It seemed that no matter how many different ones I had, I never had the right style (gold vs. silver etc. proper thickness or length). So I made the (possibly poor) decision to let the customers find what suits them best (these things can be easily found at Wal-Mart, Michael's or such for surprisingly cheap). Sizes (weights and dimensions) are approximate, as I have many pieces (except for the extra large) in each size range to pick from for you.
A) Small: about 3 grams each - 12mm x 10mm x 7mm - $3
B) Medium: about 8 grams - 19mm x 13mm x 9mm - $8
C) Large: about 13 grams each - 22mm x 18mm x 9mm - $13
D) Extra large: about 25 grams each - 20mm x 20mm x 19mm - $25 - good key-chain size.
E) Small gold plated piece: 1.8 grams - 12mm x 9mm x 5mm. This thing really looks like a nice little gold nugget (aesy to tell it is not with a magnet) - $5
F) Extra special piece: This is a neat little (8.6 grams - 17mm x 17mm x 6mm) piece that is a "puzzle piece" it has two interlocked pieces that are held together naturally. This stuff is broken apart along its natural Widmanstatten structure. This piece managed to partially separate along one band so there are now two halves that, though they wiggle, they are still firmly connected to each other. Really cool and the only piece like it I have ever found in this material - $50

SIKHOTE-ALIN: Russia. Coarsest octahedrite (IIAB). Fell Feb. 12, 1947.
Here are two different pendant options. One is basic and simple (bet yet has its own "chain" and looks quite nice) and the other quite elegant (professionally wire-rapped in sterling silver, but no chain).
a) Nice dark (not wire-brushed too an extreme) flat shrapnel piece (about 12 grams - 25mm x 25mm x 5mm) that has had a hole drilled in it (that must have taken some work), a loop put through that and hung on a dark leather-looking (though it is a synthetic material I am sure) "chain". Actually quite nice! I need to remember where I got this and make it a regular inventory item - $25
b) Nice quasi- heart shaped shrapnel piece (around 16 grams - 22mm x 26mm x 8mm) that has been wire wrapped in sterling silver. The meteorite has been cleaned such that parts (the edges) are still dark but the center is a medium gray metallic. Very nice piece! - $50

NWA (482): Lunar dust pendant.
These (all 2 of them I have left) are really nice. They are small (about 15mm long, 10mm diameter) teardrop glass vials that have a good amount of dust saved from the cutting of the famous NWA (482) lunar meteorite inside. These have been fully sealed (so no dust will escape) and capped with a 14k gold bell cap. They are ready to hang on any chain. - $100

INDOCHINITE PENDANT:
These are pendants made from a small (about 5g about 2 or 3cm across) tektite individuals (mostly flat or elongate) from Thailand. They have had a small loop attached at the top. These have been cleaned so they have a nice shiny black color (except some are thin enough to show the dark olive-green real color of the glass when a bit of light passes through them) and have the nice classic pitted surface features. Nice little jewelry pieces, but not suggested for use banging around on a key chain (the keys will likely ultimately win the battle) - $4 each.

CARVED MOLDAVITE PENDANTS:
I got a few of these neat carved moldavites a few years ago. They are nice individual moldavite specimens that have been carefully carved such that they have a beautiful lady's face in the center with the surrounding natural moldavite surface features looking like her hair. These are very nicely done and no two are alike. I had been selling these simply as "specimens". I recently decided to get a couple professionally wire-wrapped for pendant use. The results = WOW. I went ahead and got them all wrapped. I got one done in silver and the rest done in gold (the gold seems to work a bit better visually with the green of the moldavite).
a) Carving wire wrapped in sterling sliver. Specimen is roughly 16mm x 15mm x 10mm and overall pendant is 27mm x 22mm x 12mm - $100
b) Carving wrapped in 14k gold filled wire. Moldavite is roughly 20mm x 18mm x 8mm and overall pendant is 30mm x 18mm x 10mm - $100

MOON/ MARS BOXES:
These are neat little 55mm x 35mm plastic boxes that have a picture from either the Moon or Mars (depending, obviously, on what type rock it contains) with a 1cm round window cut out to one side that has a small (roughly 1mm x 2mm or so) piece of moon or mars rock in the center. These are neat little items and a huge hit at my retail shows and are a fantastic gift for kids or anybody interested in rocks, astronomy, meteorites or anything out of the ordinary..
a) Moon box - $25
b) Mars box - $25
c) One of each - $40

METEORITE POCKET WATCH:
I think this is the thing that got me started into pocket watches (many of you may not know that I have taught myself how to fix old watches and have built up quite a collection of antique pocket watches. I even have some for sale; ranging from $20 for a 40 or 50 year old "dollar watch" to a $1500 for a 270 year old specimen and everything in between. So, let me if you have a watch collector or antique collector on your list and I will see if I can come up with something for you). This is a "skeleton" watch that has front and back crystals so you can see through it (and the cut out movement plates) to see all of the gears and such doing their thing. What is special about this though is its case. It is completely (including the winding crown, bow, stem and all) machined out of a piece of Gibeon meteorite! It was then etched and gold plated. This has a plate inside labeled "S. Racine" (the maker) 001/100. This was the first one of what was to be a run of 100 meteorite watches. I don't think more than a handful were ever made (and they were all different in case style and decoration, so no two are alike as far as I am aware). A truly special and unique item - $3500

METEORITE COINS:
These are roughly 2" (50mm) diameter medallions that have a small piece (around 5mm size in the case of the Campo and NWA (869) coins, a small fragment or pinch of fragments and dust in the case of the moon or mars coins). Each is individually serial numbered as part of a limited (nearly sold out in some cases) run. The Campo and NWA (869) coins each come with a serial numbered "certificate of authenticity" as well (I
Did not get these for the moon/mars ones though).
a) Campo del Cielo or NWA (869 ) coins - $30 each
b) Moon or Mars coins - $70 each