Wednesday 16 December 2009

Blaine Reed Meteorites- List 82 - end 2009 offering

List 82 - end 2009 offering

Blaine Reed
P.O. Box 1141
Delta, CO 81416
Ph/fax (970) 874-1487
…………………………………………………LIST 82
December 14, 2009

Dear Collectors,

This will likely be my last offering of 2009. I have done a bit of my inventory work over the past couple weeks. So far it has resulted in the "only one or 2 pieces left" offering below. Unfortunately, I have not had time (and likely will not have time until VERY late in the month) to complete this work due to a family issue. My aunt passed away December 1st and left my brothers and I executors of the estate. We have accomplished much in cleaning up and preparing for the many "estate sales" we will have to host but this has already put me on two trips over the mountains (at the worst possible times so far - horrible icy roads, blowing snow and such) to Denver twice already and many more trips are yet to come (including maybe even leaving again in a few days). Any way, things are a bit overwhelming right now but I will try to keep tabs while on the road (retrieving phone messages from Linda and checking e-mail on my aunt's computer while we still have service at her house), but I will apologize in advance for any delays that (likely) will happen during this time.

These items are all "only ones remaining" so I have priced them to move and no substitutions are available, so contact me as soon as possible if you would like any of these.

I hope everyone has a great Christmas, Hanukah, holiday season and a great new year!

ZARAGOZA, Spain: Fine octahedrite (IVA), anomalous. Found 1950's. Tkw = 162kg.
This is my last bit of this odd material (though I do have a 27g slice that was sent off to a charity auction for Cascadia Meteorite Lab that I have not heard back yet as to whether or not it sold - so it may be available a bit later). This has a strange medium gray color with a weak, re-crystallized etch structure (due to being heated at some point in its past - likely while in space by impact or an orbit pass very close to the sun).
4.9 gram slice - 15mm x 10mm x 5mm - $20

DIMMITT, Texas: (H3.7). Found 1942.
This is an end piece (my only one) that I got from the Monig collection some years ago. The back side is all natural but it is roughly half natural break and half crusted and thumb-printed. This sits nice to display well naturally. This is probably the cheapest named H3 available (and even cheap for NWA type 3's).
244.5 gram end piece - 60mm x 43mm x 35mm - $230

ETTER, Texas: (L5). Found 1965. Tkw = about 340kg.
I thought I was completely sold out of this, but found this fantastic slice hiding in with some other slices (Northbranch I think). Any way, this piece has all the features that make Etter so popular. It has the nice dark jade-green color, lots of metal and troilite and a couple nice metal veins (one particularly clear for this meteorite). This was cut from a 180 pound piece that I bought (with a bank loan) back in 1993. Robert Haag bought and owned a 115 pound end piece for years. He sold this too Matt Morgan and I a few years ago and we cut this into some great large slices. This is my last piece and a great display specimen.
322.3 gram complete slice - 170mm x 110mm x 6mm - $480

NWA (543): (LL4). Found January 2000. Tkw = 105 grams.
This is a nice quite fresh complete slice. It is light gray (with some hints of browning in a couple areas) and shows lots of chondrules of various shades of generally darker gray. This looks very much like a piece of the Tuxtuac fall rather than an NWA find.
24.6 gram compete slice - 43mm x 38mm x 6mm - $99

NWA (736): (H3.7). Found January 2000. Tkw = 2766grams.
This is quite nice and fresh. It shows lots of small chondrules and metal in a light gray and tan matrix. These are the last two pieces of this.
a) 2.3 gram end piece - 19mm x 14mm x 3mm - $7
b) 3.4 gram end piece - 19mm x 19mm x 4mm - $10

NWA (1930): (LL3). Found 2003. Tkw = 7.5kg.
This is my last specimen of this and priced at less than half of my usual price. It is a nice end piece that displays nicely naturally. It has lots of chondrules in a mottled light gray in spots and brown in others matrix.
29.5 gram end piece - 32mm x 25mm x 21mm - $120

OUM DREYGA, Western Sahara: (H3-5). Fell October 16, 2003.
This is what originally was being offered years ago as "Amgala". These are my last two pieces of this. They are both complete individuals with fresh black crust covering most of their exteriors with the remainder being a very thin secondary crust covering a late atmospheric break (each look like they roughly broke in half late in their fall). Nice pieces!
a) 30.7 gram individual - 43mm x 26mm x 14mm - $105
b) 73.3 gram individual - 50mm x 31mm x 20mm - $250

RENFROW, Oklahoma: (L6). Found 1986, recognized 1995. Tkw = 81.7kg.
Here is a nice little piece that would be perfect for making tin-sections. This has a uniform dark gray (nearly black) color with a good amount of metal and sulfides scattered through out. My last piece (though I do have a nice 689 gram complete slice on consignment right now for $990).
7.4 gram slice - 22mm x 15mm x 6mm - $12

NWA (2932): (Mesosiderite) . Found 2005. Tkw = 15+kg.
This is probably the nicest msosiderite I have ever had. I do have a few of the metal nodule end pieces from this meteorite, but this is my last nice true mesosiderite looking specimen (though I am trying to locate more of this stuff). This piece has lots of metal, including a few metal nodules. A great specimen!
36.5 gram end piece - 39mm x 31mm x 15mm - $165

PUTORANA, Russia. (Mesosiderwrong) terrestrial nickel iron in basalt.
This is fantastically interesting stuff. It looks like a meteorite, has nickel (in the form of Kamacite - the low nickel allow in meteorites), Troilite and more. I had oxygen isotope work done by NASA that said "not of this Earth". Unfortunately, they saw native copper (and re-did oxygen work that resulted in it still being very strange but possibly within earth rock ranges after all) and decide that it MUST be terrestrial (then why is the obvious copper grains in Franconia not a problem?). Any way, this has been extremely popular over the years (and is even rarer than a mesosiderite as a terrestrial "iron in basalt") and I now have only these 3 small pieces remaining out of the nearly 30kg I purchased years ago (when I got that first "not of this earth" notification on the original oxygen work).
a) 3.6 gram slice - 15mm x 14mm x 5mm - $5
b) 12.6 gram slice - 25mm x 20mm x 6mm - $16
c) 13.2 gram slice - 27mm x 20mm x 6mm - $16.50